Saturday, August 9, 2008

A Change of Pace

Thought that I would mix things up here for a moment.

Something that may surprise people who read this blog but don't know me (probably nobody, but you never know) is that I actually really love this country. Which, ironically, is why I'm usually so critical of it; I know that it can do better, especially than it has over the past eight years. Also, generally speaking, writing about things that are good typically isn't that interesting. Sometimes you have to make an exception.

So I'm sitting at home with the Olympics on, its men's gymnastics, and it is amazing to watch people from so many different parts of the world competing. The Chinese are amazing of course, as are the Russians, the Indians, and some other assorted Europeans; I can't help but have this big shit eating grin because every single one of them has an American flag on his uniform. All of the other teams all look identical, but ours looks identical to all the other teams combined. Thats fucking awesome.


Also, Dara Torres is my hero. Most of the girls she is racing weren't even born yet when she won her first olympic medal back in 1984; they haven't caught up with her yet.

2 comments:

jwfbean said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dr. Strangelove said...

Yeah, but the burn is, what if I hated racquetball?

Then my whole life would be forcibly consumed by something that made me miserable. Selling software may sound more mundane by comparison, and perhaps not the most exciting thing ever, but it is arguably better than being forced into doing something that you're good at, but makes you unhappy.

Besides, eventually you turn 30 and you're too old to be competitive, what value are you to the state then? What do you think that they'll do with you once you've outlived your useful life? For that matter, what do you think you'll do when your only skill is racquetball and it isn't in demand anymore? For that matter, what if you get to the Olympics and then you lose?

You're pretty much fucked is what.

If somebody is going to risk that much of their life, they should have a say in it.